Dr. Russ Harris - ACT for Beginners (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy)
This action-packed and interactive 6-week course allows you total flexibility to learn whenever it suits you and access a whole range of powerful resources that simply aren’t available anywhere else. Between 2 to 3 hours of new content will be released, week-by-week, over a 6-week period (16 hours in total). Plus, on top of that, you’ll have an extra 4 weeks of access to the whole course, so you can watch all your favourite videos again (and if you’ve fallen behind due to sickness, or taking a vacation, or work commitments etc, this will give you plenty of time to catch up again).
Russ will take you step-by-step through the entire ACT model in a way that is both engaging and entertaining. Prepare to experience his unique and engaging teaching style direct-to-camera, supported by delightful animations of key ACT metaphors along the way.
You’ll watch annotated videos of real therapy sessions, engage with audio exercises and reading materials, participate in online forums with other participants, answer multi-choice quizzes that test your learning as you go plus a whole lot more.
The entire course has been carefully designed with our professional learners in mind, to ensure that you gain a comprehensive and practical grounding in the theory of ACT, which you can immediately put into practice with your clients or patients.
There are 16 CE/CME hours available. Prior to registering, please visit to review complete CE/CME details, course objectives, speaker/planner conflict of interest disclosure and more
In this dynamic, fun and energising 6-week journey you’ll learn how to use the six core principles of ACT, and how to adapt them to different clinical populations.
You’ll learn to:
- Get versatile with values
- Dance around with defusion
- Empower through acceptance
- Catalyse with commitment
- Liberate through self-as-context
- Create focus, flexibility and fulfilment through contacting the present moment
You’ll also discover:
- Five powerful tools to develop and strengthen psychological acceptance
- Ten powerful ways to rapidly reduce the believability of negative thoughts (without ever challenging them)
- Seven surefire techniques to get to values
- The art of mindfulness without meditation
- How to innovate your own mindfulness techniques
As well as:
- How to get experiential in session
- How to effectively utilise ACT in a wide variety of clinical problems
- The power of metaphor and paradox
- Novel alternatives to the ‘traditional’ ACT metaphors
- How to apply ACT in your own life, to create a sense of vitality, meaning and fulfilment
Not to mention:
- How to use ACT to help you cope with the stresses of difficult clients
- How to access and experience a transcendent sense of self
- How to fundamentally change your relationship with unwanted thoughts and feelings
- How to help clients connect with their core values, set goals, and take committed action
- How to ‘dance’ between ACT processes in session
And just for good measure:
- How to make psycho-education quick, simple and fun
- How to use artwork and technology for defusion, acceptance & values
- Common client misunderstandings and how to correct them
- Common client barriers to change, and how to dissolve them
Week 1: Opening ACT – What’s It All About?
Week 2: Drop The Struggle
Week 3: Watch Your Thinking - The Art & Science of Cognitive Defusion
Week 4: Do What Matters - Values and Committed Action
Week 5: Open Up - Acceptance and Self-Compassion
Week 6: Fluent and Flexible - The Dance of ACT
Read more: https://psychwire.com/harris/act-beginners