Joseph Borich III - Two-Day HIPAA Conference
OVERVIEW: PURPOSE & FRAMEWORK OF HIPAA LAW
- Determine who must comply
- What to do when state and federal laws contradict
- The government’s civil & criminal enforcement of HIPAA
- HIPAA transaction and code sets rule
- Medicare/Medicaid fraud implications
HIPAA COMPLIANCE: A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE
- Developing the HIPAA team
- Who owns the medical record: the healthcare facility or the patient?
- Lack of medical necessity
- Record retention and release rules
- Drafting policies, procedures, and consent forms
- How long are you required to retain records?
- Mandatory medical records – how your practice could be affected
WORKSHOP: HIPAA COMPLIANCE MANUAL
- What’s required
- Assemble based on your needs
NEW! SECURITY RULE & STANDARDS OF HIPAA
- Determining who should have access to patient records
- Administrative, Physical, Technical safeguards
- Know what the bad guys are doing and protect yourself!
- Evil social engineering
WORKSHOP: TECHNICAL STANDARDS
- What your IT department may not know
- Learn the technical standards required by NISF
NEW! A.C.A. MACRA, MEANINGFUL USE, PQRS, ICD-10, MEDICARE/MEDICAID RULES OF PARTICIPATION
NEW! PRIVACY RULE & STANDARDS OF HIPAA
NEW COVERED ENTITY: BUSINESS ASSOCIATES
- Analysis of all the rights of the patient and covered entities
- Duties and obligations of the covered entity
- Business Associate Agreement (BAA) with vendors
- Chain of Trust Partnership Agreements (CTPAs) for joint covered entity networks
- Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)
UPDATED MEDICAL RECORDS LAWS & RULES
- Specialized records
- Mental health
- Substance abuse
- Genetic testing
- Other Confidential Records
- Court records
- Worker’s compensation
- Death records
- Public policy releases
- Search warrants
- Qualified protective orders
- Evidence admissibility
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL RECORDS LAW
- 4 big areas of state medical records law
- Enhance privacy rights under state law
- How much do you charge for copies? What do the guidelines say?
- Record Retention Timelines (how long do you have to retain your medical records timelines?) How long do you retain paper and/or electronic?
- Duty to warn
- Statutes of limitations for malpractice claims
WORKSHOP: REPORTING BREACHES
- Learn the difference between secure and insecure breaches
- Low vs. High Probability of Compromise
WHISTLEBLOWERS: HOW TO PREVENT AND HOW TO MANAGE
- Audits come from disgruntled employees
- Costs/malpractice insurance
CLIENTS COMPLAINTS: HOW TO PREVENT AND HOW TO MANAGE
WORKSHOP: PROPER ANALYSIS AND RISK MANAGEMENT
- Proper Gap and Risk Analysis
- Perform and implement good practices
CASE STUDY: WHAT YOU CAN LEARN FROM THE BIGGEST HIPAA COURT CASES
- HIPAA Civil Complaints and Fines
- HIPAA Criminal Prosecution
WORKSHOP: POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- How to select and draft
- What is Required?
- What is Necessary?
ETHICS REQUIREMENTS & CONSIDERATIONS
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE! TAKE THIS BACK TO YOUR PRACTICE
Would you like to receive Joseph Borich III - Two-Day HIPAA Conference ?
Now that the HIPAA Compliance Deadlines have been reinforced with random audits, compliance is more important than ever before. Healthcare providers have historically struggled to comply with the unique challenges that the new rules and regulations require. Not to mention, these rules are constantly changing! Documenting your HIPAA compliance with a formal, comprehensive HIPAA Manual is now mandatory for the healthcare industry. This 2-day recording will take an in-depth look into the world of HIPAA to make sure your practice is covering all bases and protecting YOU as well as your patients’ information. Joseph Borich, MBA, JD, LLM, will engage and inspire you to be confident in your ability to take your HIPAA compliance program to the next level and to meet government standards.
Designed to take a deep dive into the complex world of HIPAA
- HIPAA Compliance Manual: What’s required, What YOU will need!
- Technical Standards: What your IT Department May Not Know
- Reporting Breaches: What is worth reporting? You’d be surprised.
- Rick Management: Perform and implement good practices
- Policies and Procedures: Select and customize for your organization