Laurie Elston - Legal Risks for Nurses
- Learn from actual trial videos
- What are the most frequent charges brought against nurses?
- Deposition tips every nurse should know
- Are you liable for the staff you supervise?
- What you need to do to make sure your charting stands up in court
- Are you up-to-date on the new nurse social media rules?
- Should you purchase malpractice insurance – or not?
- Protect your patient, yourself & your license
Regardless of the setting you currently practice in as a nurse, you need to have a clear understanding of your legal and ethical responsibilities. Protecting yourself personally and professionally can be a frightening thought. We’ve all heard the worst case scenarios.… This seminar will prepare you to evaluate risky situations so that you can immediately take the right steps to prevent unnecessary negative outcomes.
Nurse Attorney, Laurie Elston, RN, BSN, JD, will explain current nursing laws and present over 20 cases that illustrate how these laws are applied, including:
- Nursing Practice Acts and Standards of Care: Nurse Practice Acts and specialty organization standards. Watch actual trial video!
- Staffing and Supervision Issues: RN liability when supervising others. Are you liable for the staff you supervise?
- Risk Management: Ways to reduce errors and avoid claims and lawsuits. Deposition tips every nurse should know. Watch real nurses giving depositions.
- Documentation: What the law requires. How to avoid problems when charting in an EHR. Would your charting stand up in court?
- Informed Consent: Who can consent. Advanced Directives.
- Confidentiality: HIPAA myths. New nurse social media rules by ANA and NCSBN.
- Nursing Boards: Know your rights – and how to protect your license.
Nursing Liability and Negligence
- Nursing standards
- Multiple case studies
Nurse Practice Acts
- Changes in scope of practice
- Requirements every nurse must know!
- Reporting abuse/neglect
- Patient abandonment
Common Errors and Claims Staffing
- Rights when floating
- Unsafe staffing
What should you do if you make an error?
Should you buy malpractice insurance?
- Does it make you a target?
- Will your employer’s coverage protect you?
- The do’s and don’ts of good charting
- Problems with EHRs
- Real charting examples and solutions
- HIPAA myths
- Nurses fired and prosecuted for breaches in confidentiality and posting online
- Who has authority to consent?
- Capacity to consent?
- Plus, DNRs, End of life issues, and more
Boards of Nursing
- Most frequent charges against nurses
- Your rights
- Case examples
Would you like to receive Laurie Elston - Legal Risks for Nurses
Nurse Whistleblower Protection Laws
- Analyze common errors and claims against nurses.
- Explore some of the steps a nurse can take to help avoid claims.
- Breakdown the laws on documentation and rules of good charting.
- Investigate the new nurse rules on social media.
- Determine who can provide informed consent.
- Evaluate issues pertinent to Advanced Directives and End of Life care.
- Exploit my rights if the Nursing Board takes action against my license.
- Dissect employment laws and Nurse Whistleblower Protections.
We would be happy to accommodate your ADA needs; please call our Customer Service Department for more information at 1-800-844-8260.
Your satisfaction is our goal and our guarantee. Concerns should be addressed to: PO Box 1000, Eau Claire, WI 54702-1000 or call 1-800-844-8260.