Theresa Puckett - Combat Nurse Bullying
- Historical overview of bullying in nursing
- Expressions of bullying
- From practice: Horizontal and vertical violence
- From academia: Bullied students and faculty members
- Theories of bullying in nursing
- Glasser’s Choice Theory
- Oppression Theory
- Nurse as Wounded Healer
- How are the victims chosen?
- Individual factors
- Workplace characteristics
- How nursing values incite bullying
- Consequences of bulling
- On individuals
- On organizations
- Addressing bullying: Individual Interventions
- Recognizing Super Nurses, Backstabbers and Green-with-Envy Nurses
- Basics of “carefronting”
- Common communication pitfalls and how to address them
- Phrases to form connections
- Communication tools: IMPROVE, SBI, DESC and BEE
- Addressing bullying: Organizational Interventions
- Stop Bullying Toolkit
- Nursing Incivility Scale
- Civility Index Dashboard
- Float Survey questions
- Future directions
Would you like to receive Theresa Puckett - Combat Nurse Bullying ?
The sad reality is that nurse bullying is a distraction from patient care.
We’ve likely all been there… Either as the target of nurse bullying or have been witness (perhaps a silent witness) to bullying taking place at work.
It does seem contradictory that someone can be both a nurse and a bully. So why does it happen at such significant rates? If we understand the reasons why nurse bullies choose their victims, we can take steps to protect ourselves while at work. And if we can understand the reasons behind a co-worker’s actions, we are more likely to intervene in a way that generates the desired results.
It is time now to take a stand. To stand up for yourself and others who have been disrespected, gossiped about, withholding expected patient information, or criticized in front of patients/families. Bullying can come in so many forms. In less than 90 minutes, you will learn proven strategies from expert Theresa Puckett PhD, RN, CNE, to help turn your department or unit in to a peaceful and enjoyable place to work.